Assignment 1 up-date
As of today I have updated the assignment and here I would like to summarise what I have done and why.
After a hang out meet with the documentary students we showed our work and I was given a few suggestions. I presented the work to the group in colour and b&w as I was unsure which suited the theme. As my aim was to present the work in a more classical or traditional style of photo essay and the images appeared to ‘speak’ louder in black and white I decided to go with this. The group also affirmed the decision. Whilst sometimes it is clear that a particular set of images needs colour, after discussion it seemed evident that the opposite was the case for this set. The colours that are evident in the first part of the set (Tina, painting) were so dominant that they seemed to detract from the observation of the form of the images.
Secondly, I had used an image that threw the set out or interfered with the flow of the story. I wanted to include some extra images that talked around the the theme of what was happening in the context that I was photographing in. However, with ten photos what I have discovered is that it is necessary to leave enough room to be able to talk about the main theme. Putting one image into a sequence that is out of place (not of people in a dynamic activity but of static props) seemed like a genuine idea that I have used before, but it became clear from feedback that it did not offer anything to the overall series. Therefore I replaced this photo with something more coherent to the set.